Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

New Member Introduction

Hi forum,
    Just thought I'd post an intro before bombarding you all with questions lol.
    I was a TV engineer up until about 15 years ago, then got into the laptop refurb business here in Scotland.
    I had 900 sq ft business premises and employed 2 other engineers plus a secretary. But recently, the price of brand-new (cheap junk) laptops has started to dip to the 200 mark, making the second-hand market damn slow, coupled with the current trend of tablets, iPads and smartphones, I began struggling to pay wages, rent and all the other overheads, as well as having a wage myself...
    So, in June 2014 I accepted the situation and said goodbye to my staff and gave up on the premises. I'm back to basics now working from 2 spare rooms in my home, and looking for a new angle.

Inspired by the YouTube videos (thanks Louis!) I'm looking to retrain my component level electronic skills which were last used over 15 years ago in CRT TVs, so I've a hell of a lot of catching up to do lol!

So that's where I'm at at the moment. Still in the refurb business as a one-man show but hopefully looking to get commercial premises again in the not too distant future, this time I'll evolve with current trends and be more ready to diversify and adapt.

Greetings from Scotland.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KB Laptops For This Useful Post:

ifix407 (01-28-2015), Tellyman (06-09-2017)

Thanks

Re: New Member Introduction

Forget worthless PC laptops, you can buy a PC for $275. Focus on Apple where there is still money, and once there is no money left in that we will find something else! This is why I scream on people when I see them working for hours on $240 netbooks, there is no point to that insanity.

I am a Thinkpad user myself but if I tried to pay the bills off of this I would be bankrupt.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vze1lryy For This Useful Post:

ifix407 (01-28-2015), KB Laptops (12-23-2014)

Administrator
    Thanks

Welcome to the forum, thanks for introducing yourself and good luck.
    [Only Registered and Activated Users Can See Links. Click Here To Register...]

6. The Following User Says Thank You to drichiez For This Useful Post:

ifix407 (01-28-2015)

Thanks

Hi KB

Welcome to the forum. I am also in the UK although disabled through lifting crt sets I still repair anything from TV Audio Video Laptops Iphones and pads industrial items Auto dashboards and equipment for motor trade if it has a circuit and its worth money I do it.With regards to laptops I charge for an estimate then its up to them I do not work for nothing everything is chargable I do not waste time on people who want something for nothing would they work a week for their boss for no pay I have the same bills as them. Hope you find insperation on here Watch Louis videos on youtube subscribe and good luck with your new start.

Thanks

Hi Forum! New guy here to introduce myself.

I've personally been in the repair business for just over a year and have learned a lot from YouTube and just basic common sense. I hope in joining this forum I can expand my business and personal knowledge in a booming market. I work on a lot of things, but agree with the above comment that the money is in Apple. Louis does good at explaining a lot of issues and I love his videos. It was through him that lead me here in search of expanding my work into logic board level repairs.

I've also worked extensively on phones and tablets and can try and help troubleshoot some issues any other techs here are running into. Apple and Samsung are known for their outlandish issues.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ifix407 For This Useful Post:

PhIlLy ChEeSe StEaK (07-10-2016)

Administrator
    Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

Yes Louis is guilty for bringing in almost all members of the forum

11. The Following User Says Thank You to drichiez For This Useful Post:

PhIlLy ChEeSe StEaK (07-10-2016)

Thanks

Welcome Ifix407 good to see you here.
    All posts spelling grammar checked
    Regards Tellyman

Thanks

Good to see you all too. He didn't specifically point me here, but it was through some work that I found his program for boardview and it just kept going from there. Is he a member himself?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Welcome to the forum ifix407.
    Hope you like it here.

Thanks

Hello forum,

I was a tech for a scale company for 10 years repairing boards that go into scales. Now I tinker with just about anything to see if I can fix it. I do component level repair. I have repaired Tvs, laptop, desktop, lcds, Led displays, receivers, car amps, car radios....etc.

Could someone assist me. I need the passcode for
    boardview for Apple MBP 820-2532

From what I read so far I love the site. Thank you
    Last edited by Meng798651; 03-15-2015 at 04:19 AM.