Thanks

Macbook Air A1466 with 820-00165A troubles

I've been out of the laptop trade for a couple of years now but I saw a student selling this non-working 2017 MacBook Air on Facebook for 200 and bought it on a whim (I was bored lol).
    It's immaculate with box etc. and she claims it's only 8 months old and it was the tiniest splash of water that rendered it dead. She'd had a local shop look at it and they said needs a new logic board and it was beyond economic repair.

Specs are 13 inch, 2017 model, 1.8ghz, 8gb, 128gb.

I've opened it up and studied the board, eventually finding this tiny area of damage. There appears to be an IC and maybe 2 smd resistors or caps missing? I'm not able to do board repair so wondered what my best option was? Should I send the board off somewhere for repair which seems to cost around 100 (?) Or I've noticed I can buy a refurb board for around 180 (then possibly sell my board for 60/80), or should I just try to sell it on ebay as-is to get my cash back (and leave well alone in future lol).

[Only Registered and Activated Users Can See Links. Click Here To Register...]

[Only Registered and Activated Users Can See Links. Click Here To Register...]

VIP Member
    Thanks

Re: Macbook Air A1466 with 820-00165A troubles

Looks to be U8160 - S0 PGOOD signal, but it's not used on this version - it was for development only so should be blank.
    I'd clean up the area to see if the crud is dragging down the signals since to the left of U8160 is Q8150 which is present and responsible for S0 PGOOD signal.
    Unless you know what you're doing, I'd sell on. Bear in mind the screen is worth 200 alone never mind the other bits.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sargfowler For This Useful Post:

KB Laptops (09-28-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sargfowler [Only Registered and Activated Users Can See Links. Click Here To Register...]
    Looks to be U8160 - S0 PGOOD signal, but it's not used on this version - it was for development only so should be blank.
    I'd clean up the area to see if the crud is dragging down the signals since to the left of U8160 is Q8150 which is present and responsible for S0 PGOOD signal.
    Unless you know what you're doing, I'd sell on. Bear in mind the screen is worth 200 alone never mind the other bits.
    Thanks, I carefully removed the green gunk with the point of a pair of fine tweezers, then cleaned it off with a some isopropyl alcohol and a soft brush. Now looks good under the microscope but still the macbook won't turn on, either with the keyboard, or by shorting out the pads on the board. Green light on the charger (orange with battery disconnected) but no other sign of life.

VIP Member
    Thanks

OK, you're going to have to go through all the power rails and see which one is missing.
    Follow the schematic for the board and post where you get up to.

Thanks

I would guess you missing PM_SLP_S4_L. These model often that the SMC just got BAD without reason. I fixed couple of these 820-00165 board model no water damage mostly SMC issue.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys, but as I said in my original post, I'm unable to do component level repair on SMD stuff (due to hand tremor). I sold the MacBook as-is on eBay and got my money back.
    I appreciate the help though.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KB Laptops For This Useful Post:

Tellyman (10-02-2019)