Thanks

Don't be a Caveman ;-)

Hello,

I would like to share a technique which may be interesting to others. My apologies if anyone else has already developed this method.

There are many examples and methods to remove Glass Screens and or Digitizers, some of which utilize heat generated by Hot Air Stations or other forms that have risks associated with damaging nearby components such as Backlight Diffuser Sheets, LCD's and Rubber Edgings.

It's possible some individuals may be using Paint Strippers, Butane Torches and hopefully not Oxy-Acetylene Torches ;-)

For the sake of Not working like a Caveman and with all the technology that is available, there are alternatives that are very easy to deploy and have additional benefits such as reducing the labor involved. Additionally it is possible to create solutions that can be reused and repeatable in ways that increase productivity while maintaining quality.

Attached I have included images that depict the use of Electric Heater Strips. These devices are readily available and range in Wattage, Voltage, Size ...

The examples show one of these strips, mounted using the self adhesive backing to a piece of precision ground steel. in these images, it shows that the strip was able to be cut down in length and the resulting open circuit was closed using a simple jumper.

This device is rated for 24 Volts DC, however I have been able to push the voltage up to 30 Volts DC and lower as needed to regulate temperature. Despite the fact that this device was cut down in length and the overall resistance was altered, it performed with no issues.

To help dissipate the heat and spread it evenly over the surface to be heated, a piece of precision ground steel was used. Any piece of thermal conductive material can be used, such as Steel, Copper, Aluminum ... just as long as it is relatively flat.

Although this example is basic, it serves to illustrate the concept. The fun will begin when a Fixture or Fixtures are created to accommodate popular layouts, such as 11", 13" 15" ... screens or phones ... My goal is to have several of these fixtures on hand.

Then process is nothing more than to lay the strip or fixture onto the surface to be heated and soften the underlying adhesive for easy removal. Fine tuning of Heat, Time, Area produces amazing results. The glass or digitizer can be removed with ease and any associated risks to nearby components are eliminated.

Here's the best part: Once the optimal variables are determined and the glass is heating, there is no need to monitor the process. Just set a timer or let it sit because no damage takes place and return when desired. This permits working on other tasks versus baby sitting.

Once the glass reaches the desired temperature and the adhesive is softened, a simple removal method can be used such as Spreader/s, Suction Cup/s or just ask it nicely to come off and it will ;-)

Take a moment to look over the attached images and see if this is something you would like to try. I have also found it works good for removing adhesive tape from the back side of glass, as it just peels off with no effort.

Hope this helps.

[Only Registered and Activated Users Can See Links. Click Here To Register...]

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 0RAZ10 For This Useful Post:

Tellyman (03-19-2016)

Thanks

Re: Don't be a Caveman ;-)

Welcome back,

Today I would like to pose a Riddle for all you fellow Engineers.

This is a continuation of what was originally presented in this tread and is a work in progress.

Please look at the attached images closely.

Can you guess what I am thinking ?

Stay tuned for more developments.

Thanks

Hello again,

I just want to add a recent example regarding use of the Heater Strips for removing display components that are attached by adhesive tape.

Today I successfully removed the Bezel Trim from a MacBook Air A1370 using a simple and quick process that resulted in absolute perfection.

Normally I have seen many used bezels available for purchase that looked like they were run over by a truck. The evidence of struggle was noticeable by all the Bends, Creases, Nicks maybe even Blood ;-)

Additionally, the display lids that are for sale were not that much better. The rubber seal was either Scorched or Torn and Mangled. As were other features.

In the attached images you will see the results that were produced using nothing more than the Heater Strip, some Plastic Spacers and a Key Card.

The Key Card was filed to a chisel edge so it would easily slip under the bezel from the Glass Side going Outward. The heater strip was placed over an area to be removed and allowed to heat for a couple of minutes. After some heat was applied the key card was slid under the trim using my Thumb on the Outer Edge of the Display Frame and One or Two Fingers on the Exposed Edge of the key card. Then gentle pressure was applied much like Squeezing and the
    key card slid right in. Once it was in place, a plastic Spacer was slid Under the Card and held in place while the card was removed.

As the heater began to get hotter, the process took about 5 seconds per width of the key card in travel. This resulted in removing the entire bezel with absolutely No Struggle and Astonishing Results.

The entire bezel trim is Flawless. There is not a single defect to be seen and it is Perfectly Flat. I mean Machinist Granite Table Flat ;-)

Another benefit was found to be in having Both Hands Available, rather than one being used just to hold a heat source. This advantage allows for better control and handling of the entire assembly or components and tools. In other words, "No Caveman" :-)

Also, while you are reading this and I highly encourage you to do so, maybe even twice or more ... I will be buying all the available used damaged displays and removing the bezels in a way that they look like new and sell them on eBay in direct competition to all the other sources that can only guarantee "Grade B" or Lower and do so at a Lower Price because it was that easy.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by 0RAZ10; 03-21-2016 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Formatting

Thanks

Hi
    Do you have any links to a seller of these strips?
    All posts spelling grammar checked
    Regards Tellyman

Thanks

Tellyman,

The system will not let me post "any kinds of links" because it says "I'm not worthy"

I'll be God Dammed before a piece of plastic with wires tells me what to do ;-)

See attached image for Links.

I have known this business for many yaers and they are the finest individuals to deal with.

If you want, you can ask for Gary ( Tell him the Rottweiler guy sent you )

They are located in NorthEast Ohio, about 30 Minutes East of Cleveland.

These types of facilities are located all over the United States.

Typically, you can do a Local Serach for terms such as Surplus.

I have found many usefull items form sources such as IT Recyclers, Industrial Surplus and lately ...
    Medical Surplus.

Yes, Medical !!!

As with any industry, there are policies and even laws regarding what they must do. There is even
    another world that the public seldom gets to see. I have a contact that gets Tractor Trailer loads
    of Hospital Surplus at little or No Cost. All he is expected to do is remove it.

Now, don't run out and go to a nearby Hospital and ask them to do the same for you, unless you
    plan on visiting their Phsyc Ward ;-)

I believe the conditions regarding opportunities such as this hinge on this individuals 501(c)(3) aka: Non Profit
    and his International Relief work that he also does.

However, he like many others have multiple businesses and that is where the deals can be had.

In one of my posts I lost composure and began bragging about my many skills. Not very sportsman like.
    However, I was not Bragging, I only try to motivate by example. One of my skill sets regards Automobiles.
    I have done Frame up Restorations and pride my workarea as being like a Hospital. Well ... Now I have taken
    it to another level. I always wanted and recently purcahased a Brand New Steris Surgical Lamp, in the box.
    This is what you see in Hospital Operating Rooms, suspended overhead with really cool arms and tracks.
    It only cost $50 from a Medical Susplus dealer. Guess where it's going ???

Some of the many items I recently aquired from these types of suppliers, include:

UltraSonic Tank - Free
    Battery Backup Units - Free
    Stainless Trays - Free
    Seven (7) Herman Miller "MilCare" ( Look them up ) Rolling Nurses Stations - $15 Each
    Dental Tools, such as Picks, Drills, Mirrors ... - $1 Each
    Surgical Tools, such as High End Twweezers, Hemo's, ... - $1 Each
    Goose Neck this and Goose Neck that - Free
    Drawers full of New Consumables, such as Alchohol, Lint Free Cloth, Wipes, Surgical Gloves ... - Free
    So much more ...

And, my favorite:

Dentures, Braces, Partials, Molds ... What the heck, they looked cool ( Despite what my Wife says )
    PLUS - Brand New Plastic Disposable Vaginal Spreaders !!! ( Why ???, Why Not, I can give them away at Halloween :-)

The moral of this long winded story is that one need not shop Retail when there is so much Surplus
    that would otherwise end up in landfills. I can bear witness to this, having been employeed at a
    Nuclear Facility. Our motto was "Use it or Loose it" and it regarded Monthly Budgets. Bean Counters
    would monitor expenses and when they saw a decline, they would reduce the budget. So, Department Managers had
    Temporary Buildings Built to house the Excess. How can this possibly be happening and no one knows.
    Well, there are certain things that all the "Bunny Rabbits" in the Woods are best not knowing about.

I envy all those individuals living in States that have a high density of Military faciliies. The stories
    I could tell you. Having been in the CNC Field and working at numerous facilities. The most memorable
    was seeing a State of the Art Industrial Laser Machine ( Many Zeros in the price ) sitting Lonely OUTSIDE
    in the elements. It still looked like new. I asked Why ???, the response was " We don't do that process any more"
    If only I was close to Home and had a Flatbed ;-)

So, now ... Go out there and find something cool then share it with us.

Best Wishes
    Last edited by 0RAZ10; 03-21-2016 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Formatting

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 0RAZ10 For This Useful Post:

mark33067 (01-24-2017), Tellyman (03-22-2016)

Administrator
    Thanks

Nice post Orazio. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks

Cooool,

Big brother is watching and knows my name ;-)

Thank You

Thanks

none of the attachments are valid and im really interested in this

Thanks

i can't see the attachments either.

Thanks

Hi, I'm very interested in this heat strip.
    Any other info on this?