Thanks

DEP and Remote Management Being Sneaky

We sell macbooks and sometimes we get DEP and remote managed machines. We have to identify these and separate them, try and get it taken off or just not sell them. Our process includes removing the hard drive, installing a wiped drive, and installing the OS. To check for DEP we just connect to internet before install which results in a pop up (if it is indeed DEP). This doesn't seem to catch all of them because we've had returns recently. Today out of curiosity I took a processed macbook that had no pop up, no signs of DEP and I logged in, opened terminal and this is what I found. The prompt said "Jamess-iMac" I ran the serial from about my mac through everymac and it was for the correct model: macbook pro. Any idea how this could happen? Any experts on DEP and remote management who can help me come up with a bulletproof process for finding these machines? If it doesn't pop up during install or logging in to OS, all while connected to the internet, then it's not really doing its job right, and what is triggering it to pop up once the customer gets it?

Thanks

Re: DEP and Remote Management Being Sneaky

The only bulletproof option to disable MDM / DEP is to modify the unique identifier in the serial (digits 6,7 & 8). To this you need to patch / reprogram the efi. Note that this should only be done if you are the authorized owner of the machine.

Example:
    Serial #: C02X45GTJGH6
    Location of Manufacture: C02
    Year of Manufacture: X
    Week of Manufacture: 4
    Unique Identifier / Build info: 5GT
    Model Info: JGH6

But if the Computer Name (located under the sharing tab in system preferences) is stating that a macbook is an imac, all while in the customer's hands, I'm more inclined to believe that they've restored an os from another device via something like carbon copy cloner, time machine or possibly just swapping the drive?

Thanks

i usually check the apple warranty status page whenever i change any digits in the unique identifier to make sure that i'm not using anyone else's serial

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kjchatman [Only Registered and Activated Users Can See Links. Click Here To Register...]
    i usually check the apple warranty status page whenever i change any digits in the unique identifier to make sure that i'm not using anyone else's serial
    Good point!