Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CPU Repair

Thanks

CPU Repair

[Only Registered and Activated Users Can See Links. Click Here To Register...]

Looking for advice on this repair as it is a CPU, so I know heat will be an issue. Also need information on the chip that is missing, like can I find its value by testing an existing one(capacitor)? I can do the soldering(or rather assume I can), just want to know of any pit falls of doing so.

Any and all help is appreciated!!!
    Last edited by PhIlLy ChEeSe StEaK; 07-07-2016 at 05:33 PM.

Thanks

Re: CPU Repair

These are decoupling capacitors. Remove one of the same size, test it's value, get a new one and solder both caps back. Try to avoid applying excessive heat.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nitrocaster For This Useful Post:

PhIlLy ChEeSe StEaK (07-10-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nitrocaster [Only Registered and Activated Users Can See Links. Click Here To Register...]
    These are decoupling capacitors. Remove one of the same size, test it's value, get a new one and solder both caps back. Try to avoid applying excessive heat.
    Awesome, yeah was thinking of even putting a huge heat sink under it. What settings do I use to measure the good cap? I have this to work with it on,
    [Only Registered and Activated Users Can See Links. Click Here To Register...]

Thank you for the reply and input!!!!

Thanks

You need a multimeter which supports capacitance measurement.

Thanks

I have one,
    my question is on what setting do I test it on? Should I use heat tape on the rest of the CPU, I got a blue point Multi meter. I seen dead CPU'S for sale they look cooked(over heated)not sure on mine till I get it in the mail.
    THANK FOR THE HELP Nitrocaster!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PhIlLy ChEeSe StEaK For This Useful Post:

Ske (07-22-2016)

Thanks

Just turn it into capacitance measurement mode and test a cap desoldered from the CPU. Kapton tape may help reducing heat dissipation, but I'm not sure if that would be good for the CPU itself (can potentially cause higher temperature gradient and deformation/cracking). I'd go without a tape.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nitrocaster [Only Registered and Activated Users Can See Links. Click Here To Register...]
    Just turn it into capacitance measurement mode and test a cap desoldered from the CPU. Kapton tape may help reducing heat dissipation, but I'm not sure if that would be good for the CPU itself (can potentially cause higher temperature gradient and deformation/cracking). I'd go without a tape.
    Cool! Thank you!
    Just got it today in the mail. See if I can post back on it..........

Thanks

[Only Registered and Activated Users Can See Links. Click Here To Register...][Only Registered and Activated Users Can See Links. Click Here To Register...]so wanted to update this, put the chip under the micro scope. a few big chips and a bunch of smaller one's surrounding them, I can't take picture's and its so damn small. a few more questions, as I have 1 big one missing and 1 small 1.
    The big one is right in between(surrounded on all side's) by other resistors, I need a fine tip which i do not have(need advice on this)really don't wanna spend a ton right now to save one resistor........but its super small spacing. I can get a replacement tip for my ell CHEAPO iron.
    #2 the smaller 1 looks easy to get at, But I noticed the CPU looks as if it were slid on a counter top as other caps have edge chiping's? like there end cap(the solder points)caught on something sharp. I should clean them up, or leave um alone.

I'm gonna weight till I feel VERY ready to tackle this as 1 it will be very nerving to even attempt, 2 I only get 1 shoot at it pretty much.
    On a side note I picked up a none working GPU, put it under the scope resistor was missing put one on its working.
    Update, i copied the photo of the CPU(see picture)thats what I need advice on to a TEE!
    Last edited by PhIlLy ChEeSe StEaK; 07-16-2016 at 12:20 PM. Reason: add picture

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PhIlLy ChEeSe StEaK For This Useful Post:

Ske (07-22-2016)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Not sure what you mean with edge chipping, not native English speaking, a search let's me think small cracks?
    Also, picture not really sharp, can't see much on it.

Anyway, if it means small cracks in some solder joints, and you also have to solder those 2 components, what equipment do you have?

I wouldn't invest in extra tips for your "ell cheapo" soldering station, unless it is a cartridge based one. Some perform reasonably
    If it doesn't, don't spend any extra money on it and get something decent, it's your most important tool..

Suppose you don't have a BGA rework station (yet)? You could use that to (re)solder all connections at once.
    Or maybe a preheater and/or hot air station?
    Put new components on using solder paste, flux all other solder joints, put it on a hot plate and heat up untill you see the solder melting.
    If you also have a hot air station, same procedure, but you can keep hot plate temp lower, e.g. 150-180c and add hot air for the final step.
    Watch out to not blow components off.

If you don't havea prehater you can use a griddle, only have to try to stay within specs, not to fast or hot, check temps with a meter (thermocouple).
    You can use that as a "hot plate" too, but again, make sure to follow rework profiles and correct temps.

I use my rework station as preheater on some soldering jobs, put a plate on it and it's a "hot plate" too. ;-)

Hope it helps you out.

Thanks

LOL@ BGA rework station, I'm not gonna be fixing X boxes. I have a hot air station, I have some small tips. But this is so close to other chips, I feel more comfy using hot air then a heating plate. Its a CPU I'm pretty sure you can't heat it up past 200 degree's and expect it to work. I know a BGA rework would be used for replacing CPU sockets which I'd like to do(right now I don't have the funds). I'm gonna try solder and heat gun, yeah the chipping is the metal ends of the CAPS(like it was dragged across a metal surface)so the caps "ends" are chipping off. Solder should fix them, should be the easiest part of the repair. I'll post back, hopefully with a working CPU. I have some old C2D cpu's, or i may pick up a cheaper Donner CPU for practice. I assume I'll only get one crack at it..........

THANKS for all the help DEUS and suggestions.