Thread: About

Administrator
    Thanks

Lightbulb About

Greetings!

The purpose of this section is to gather a collection of different types of measurements taken from functional logic boards (or circuits) that would develop to be a nice database for everyone to use.

Expected measurements would include, diode mode measurements, resistance between given points, voltage readings at a given point etc.

Individuals are encouraged to share in which ever way they want. You can type the information in, upload pictures of your notes, upload documents containing your notes etc.

When taking diode mode measurements, it'll be more helpful if you can include the readings taken between two particular points with the test leads in one direction and a second one with the test leads in the opposite direction. Example: First Red probe on point 1>black probe on point 2 and second reading, red probe on point 2>black probe on point 1.

There is a vast amount of measurements that can help someone at a given point but probably for a start you may want to begin with readings taken from all major Coils on a board. Let's say, for example, on a 820-2879 board: L6995, L7030, L7220....13 coils total in this case.

The thread's title must include the 820-*** number in order to make things easier to find. Any individual can start a thread and any future individual could contribute on that thread rather than make a new one for the same board number.

This is one big help for any new tech looking to learn this field. You are the ones more encouraged to participate on this sub-forum. It's very un-likely you'll see any experienced individual sharing that on here, so it's you the beginner that needs to contribute in order to make this a useful resource for all of you. Another beginner will see and benefit from it then take the chance to participate and add to the cause.

This thread will be open for comments and questions.
    D.R

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Advanced Reworks For This Useful Post:

everlearning (11-23-2016), ivan (02-08-2016), jadao (10-04-2015), medman (05-16-2016), Tellyman (10-01-2015)

Thanks

Re: About

Hi Dave thanks for starting this thread for someone starting repairs or an experienced engineer a little bit of information on what to expect at certain points in a circuit can be invaluable.
    All posts spelling grammar checked
    Regards Tellyman

Administrator
    Thanks

Sure Tellyman. I'll have the sub-forum up for a couple of months to see if it gets active. Will even contribute with a couple of posts. But if we see no interest we'll remove this section.
    [Only Registered and Activated Users Can See Links. Click Here To Register...]

Thanks

What an awesome idea, Dave--thanks! I get various working boards in all the time, and can take the time to measure some main readings from them. I'll sit down over this weekend and get going on some I've got on hand already.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sjword For This Useful Post:

drichiez (10-01-2015)

Administrator
    Thanks

Actually I have a better idea. This section of the forum will be hidden from the general public. The ticket to get in will cost some contribution. When the doors close only those that have added will have access to this section. Others willing to join will have to send me or any other moderator their contribution (readings taken from functional boards in the form of screen shots, documents etc). The reason for this is, of course, to encourage participation and make it fair to the few that participate.

Thanks

That's a great idea. I'm working on 2 boards as we speak and will post threads for them tomorrow. Thanks again for getting this section going! It will be incredibly useful.

Quote Originally Posted by drichiez [Only Registered and Activated Users Can See Links. Click Here To Register...]
    Actually I have a better idea. This section of the forum will be hidden from the general public. The ticket to get in will cost some contribution. When the doors close only those that have added will have access to this section. Others willing to join will have to send me or any other moderator their contribution (readings taken from functional boards in the form of screen shots, documents etc). The reason for this is, of course, to encourage participation and make it fair to the few that participate.
    Last edited by sjword; 10-04-2015 at 12:25 AM.

Thanks

I haven't had the time I originally hoped for in order to sit down and get all the readings for the boards I have. I had another idea, that would help populate this section but also help provide the "most needed" measurements from the start; would it be a bad idea to make threads for boards that we have available to measure, and then simply provide measurements as they're needed? So for example, if I make a thread stating that I have a working and testable 820-2530 board. Someone could reply saying "could you please post U7000 measurements in S0?", etc. I could then just take those measurements and post, etc. Over time, it would still populate (since the same requests wouldn't be made over and over, only new test-readings requests, etc), but the onus would be on a request for specific reading versus just going gung-ho and starting "from the top" and posting every imagineable reading, etc.

Just a thought! I still want to offer readings from working boards, but haven't found even an hour to sit down and get back on it.

Administrator
    Thanks

That would be ideal, but I deeply doubt there'll be cooperation.
    One does not need to go crazy taking measurements around the board. Just the basics like I mentioned on the original post.
    Measurements of all the coils (in both direction, reversing the leads) from the different buck-converter circuits, for example. It'll tell you if you have a short or low resistance in a circuit. It's difficult for a beginner to know if he has a short or not cause shorts are not always dead shorts.
    If this section goes viral and people see a benefit, hopefully it will escalate to a higher level of study.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to drichiez For This Useful Post:

sjword (10-23-2015)