Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

820 3208 shutdown ramdomly

Hi, I have an 820 3208 MacBook air 8gb i7 11inch that shutdown randomly.
    No water damage. No issues on Battery, trackpad, keyboard, SSD, they are good.

ASD shows:

¨Override file version¨ at the beginning and ¨Error 7 System serial number does not follow known formats - Test failed¨

Any suggestion?
    Last edited by sbyseven; 07-21-2019 at 05:48 AM.

Thanks

Re: 820 3208 shutdown ramdomly

Any suggestion is more than welcome

Thanks

Have you tried booting into a external hard drive , go as far as to take the the ssd out too if you can do this. I know this is a small step but airs are preety delicate when it comes to any type of random shutdown given you see no damage. I also try to remove the jtag connector on these they can actually cause issue .
    Last edited by John626; 07-22-2019 at 05:23 PM.

Thanks

Looks like the EFI was changed / reflashed. Could be bad ME region or bad EFI, but doubt it.
    Check if the serial number is the same as the one on the back cover.

Otherwise, it could be anything. Check if there is any liquid damage on the board, perhaps you find something out of ordinary.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John626 [Only Registered and Activated Users Can See Links. Click Here To Register...]
    Have you tried booting into a external hard drive , go as far as to take the the ssd out too if you can do this. I know this is a small step but airs are preety delicate when it comes to any type of random shutdown given you see no damage. I also try to remove the jtag connector on these they can actually cause issue .
    I did and nothing!, I'm going to try removing the jtag connector and see if it helps. Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mitchW [Only Registered and Activated Users Can See Links. Click Here To Register...]
    Looks like the EFI was changed/reflashed. Could be bad ME region or bad EFI, but doubt it.
    Check if the serial number is the same as the one on the back cover.

Otherwise, it could be anything. Check if there is any liquid damage on the board, perhaps you find something out of ordinary.
    I've changed the bios chip and I'm trying to reinstall the OS because on the asd it showed error 7 system serial number does not follow known formats. Clean ME did not solve that error. This board has no LQDM
    Last edited by sbyseven; 08-02-2019 at 04:50 AM.

Thanks

Ok, I already reinstalled the OS with a different bios, a new one, but I have the same problem, ASD says override file at the beginning and when I pass the test it shows the error 7 system serial number does not follow know formats, again. Another thing that I've noticed is that when I use alcohol over the pch and I maintain the temperature bellow 80C degrees, it doesn't shut down. Any hint?
    Last edited by sbyseven; 08-01-2019 at 04:06 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sbyseven For This Useful Post:

John626 (08-01-2019)

Thanks

I was going to say last night -PCH but I wanted to see want you come up with .
    You could try looking the circuit connected to spi and pch together that's gonna be a pain.
    I like to rework the big chips for me If I had one ( and correct stencil ) I would swap it. I don't really know if a reflow of the PCH is going to help but you could give it a shot, maybe a joint opened up during a drop when it was really hot?
    Last edited by John626; 08-01-2019 at 02:47 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to John626 For This Useful Post:

sbyseven (08-01-2019)

Thanks

Things that I've seen in this 820 3208:

• ASD only shows one error (error 7- system serial number does not follow know formats)
    • Jtag was removed. Same behavior.
    • When I ran a memory test in ASD, it shut down because of the CPU temperature.
    • The OSX doesn't recognize the trackpad when the battery is not plugged in. But I can use it.
    • When I cool down the PCH with alcohol I can install OSX.

I think this behavior is not because of the PCH, because I ran ASD and it doesn't show anything related to the PCH.
    Could it be because of a temp sensor?
    Last edited by sbyseven; 08-01-2019 at 12:06 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John626 [Only Registered and Activated Users Can See Links. Click Here To Register...]
    I was going to say last night -PCH but I wanted to see want you come up with .
    You could try looking the circuit connected to spi and pch together that's gonna be a pain.
    I like to rework the big chips for me If I had one ( and correct stencil ) I would swap it. I don't really know if a reflow of the PCH is going to help but you could give it a shot, maybe a joint opened up during a drop when it was really hot?
    The laptop didn't fall off as I remember.