Thanks

13" A1708 retina LCD problems - Colors inverted, screen burn in, flickering. EDID problem?

No history of damage on this. Screen is original. It just started happening one day.

A lot of the colors are inverted, but not all of them.

Things like the dock at the bottom, the finder menu, and app store look MOSTLY normal. Menus in OSX with just black and white text look mostly normal too.

But the desktop background is all messed up. Also things like YouTube videos and web pages are messed up as well. Colors look inverted/negative.

Also, the image burns into the screen very quickly. If I change the background picture and leave it for just a few seconds, and then reboot, you can still see the background image while it's booting with the Apple logo.

Booted into another copy of OSX from external drive, but the problem remains.

External display works fine.

If I go to display settings and switch scaling modes, for a millisecond while it's switching I can see normal colors. But then it's back to messed up colors. Makes me think it's some sort of logic problem as the LCD panel itself is capable of displaying correctly, if only for a split second.

While researching this, I learned about EDID. If I understand correctly it's similar to BIOS for the LCD and is stored on the LCD board.

I tried to identify the LCD panel information with terminal command: ioreg -lw0 | grep EDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

Other users say it should return a string with a hex value representing the panel manufacturer (Samsung or LG). When I execute the command the only output I get is "Color LCD." Perhaps I have corrupted EDID data?

Any opinions?

Last edited by vapeatl; 11-21-2019 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Pictures

VIP Member
    Thanks

Re: 13" A1708 retina LCD problems - Colors inverted, screen burn in, flickering. EDID problem?

If it would not detect the EDID then the screen would stay blank. I think the LCD TCON board is toast, that's why you get bad image.

Thanks

Re: 13" A1708 retina LCD problems - Colors inverted, screen burn in, flickering. EDID problem?

Quote Originally Posted by widerstandproject [Only Registered and Activated Users Can See Links. Click Here To Register...]
    If it would not detect the EDID then the screen would stay blank. I think the LCD TCON board is toast, that's why you get bad image.
    I heard from others that this type of thing can happen when EDID is still readable but corrupted. I don't know if it's true though.

Either way, I guess there is no easy fix without just replacing the panel.

VIP Member
    Thanks

Find the ROM on the TCON and replace it with a broken LCDs. Hope it can be done.
    Or just use your card of the antireflective coating issue repair program. Bam.